The Master of Surgery (MCh) is designed for trainees who are in the process of completing Basic Surgical Training. The course adopts a multidisciplinary approach to the surgeon's professional development, enabling participants to develop an understanding of the complex challenges and opportunities facing surgical professionals in the greater context of healthcare. The course is offered on a one year full time basis or a two year part time option. More information on the course is available.
Researchers at the HRB Centre teach on the Research Methods module offered to students on the MCh. In addition, these students receive methodological support from designated staff at the HRB Centre for the duration of their thesis. This collaboration has led to the publication of nine peer reviewed articles to date.
1. Abdulkarim A, Ellanti P, Motterlini N, Fahey T, O’Byrne JM. Cemented versus uncemented fixation in total hip replacement: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Orthop Rev (Pavia). 2013 Mar;15, 5(1):e08 Link
2. Al Khudairy A, Al-Hadeedi O, Sayana MK, Galvin R, Quinlan JF. Withholding clopidogrel for 3 to 6 versus 7 days or more before surgery in patients with hip fracture. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery 2013;21(2):146-150 Link
3. Breathnach O, Cousins G, Dunne D, Ryan K, Smith D, O’Byrne J. A review of adverse event reporting in Irish surgical specialities. Clinical Risk. 2011; 17(2): 43-49. Link
4. Burke NG, Walsh J, Moran CJ, Cousins G, Molony D, Kelly EP. Patient-reported outcomes after Silastic replacement of the trapezium for osteoarthritis. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2012 Mar;37(3):263-8. Link
5. Burke NG, Devitt BM, Baker JF, Butler JS, Cousins G, McCormack D, et al. Outcome of periacetabular osteotomy for the management of acetabular dysplasia: experience in an academic centre. Acta Orthop Belg. 2011 Feb;77(1):33-40. Link
6. Groarke P, Galvin R, Kelly J, Stephens MM. Quality of life in individuals with chronic foot conditions: a cross sectional observational study. Foot (Edin). 2012 Jun;22(2)66-9. Link
7. Lim Fat D, Kennedy J, Galvin R, O’Brien F, McGrath F, Mullet H. The Hounsfield value for cortical bone geometry in the proximal humerus: an in vitro study. Skeletal Radiol. 2012 May;41(5):557-568. Link
8. Naqvi GA, Cunningham P, Lynch B, Galvin R, Awan N. Fixation of ankle syndesmotic injuries: comparison of tightrope fixation and syndesmotic screw fixation for accuracy of syndesmotic reduction. Am J Sports Medicine. 2012 Dec;40(12):2828-35. Link
9. Quinn M, Bowe A, Galvin R, Dawson P, O'Byrne J. The use of postoperative suction drainage in total knee arthroplasty: a systematic review. International Orthopaedics. 2014 Jul 16. Link